Thursday, September 15, 2005

And so it ends…

So it is now all over, the only thing that remains is to place the little tick beside the relevant party and candidate in the polling poll.

I think that it will be a tight election. I never thought that I would see the day when I would be considering supporting one evil over the other, but considering that the minimal reforms of the past 6 years could be placed at risk, I hope that there is a centre-left (liberal) victory on Saturday evening.

I’ve been to a couple of candidate meetings and decided that I will vote for the Alliance candidate and keep some of my principles intact, but I am still undecided on how my second vote will go – it won’t go to Labour though.

On one hand, I feel I am selling out to fear, as it appears that I may have to base my vote on keeping a Government in because the alternatives are so horrible that I can’t contemplate them returning. In such a tight election, especially with some polls suggesting that the Greens might not make it (unfortunately, the Alliance definitely won’t) then it may be necessary to give my vote to them on the basis that they are closest to the threshold (and my beliefs)…

However, the entire idea behind MMP is that people should not be forced into voting on the basis of fear, that we should be free to vote the way our conscience tells us to. We should not live our lives in fear about what may happen...

Decisions…decisions…


...However, the important thing is to vote…

One piece of consolation though – ACT has flat-lined in all the polls and Epson looks un-winnable for them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home