Thursday, November 10, 2005

Living By Each Other’s Happiness – RIP. Rod Donald

I’m still stunned by Rod Donald’s death. I met Rod when we both had the experience of being on the Alliance National Council in the mid 1990s. He was there as co-leader of the Green Party and later as an Alliance/Green MP while, I was there representing the Otago/Southland NLP.

Rod and I differed on a number of issues, although we agreed more than we differed and I was sorry to see him and the Greens depart in 1998. Of course, I’d seen him many times since then, the most recent being at a Banks Peninsular Candidates meeting during the recent election, after which he came over to our little group and cheerfully addressed us all as ‘Comrades’.

I liked Rod and I couldn’t believe that he had died. In a way, even though I’ve been told many times now via the radio and on television, his death still seems unreal.

I was musing over a speech that Charlie Chaplin made in ‘The Great Dictator', it was Chaplin’s first (and I think only talking role) and a section of Chaplin's famous speech reminds me of Rod.

“We all want to help each other. Human beings are like that. We want to live by
each others happiness – not by each others misery…”
Humantarian values are sadly lacking in today's society and Rod belived in those values.


I will miss Rod and I know that the Progressive movement in New Zealand will be weaker because of his passing.

1 Comments:

At Thursday, November 10, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I first met Rod when he was vocally lambasting Anderton for attending a dinner with Clinton. And fair enough.

However, he when on to make a speech that the Greens were the ONLY party supporting us on the picket blah blah - only minutes after he had been chatting to an Alliance rosette wearing Comrade Tweek! Hence my impression of Rod was as bigger and blatant liar as most other MPs.

However, I was wrong. Quite wrong. I have come to work with him on a couple of projects and indeed this must have been a lasp on Rod's part. He was pretty much as good guy and competant guy as the media are now protraying him.

He even persuaded me to consider join the Greens as a party of effective social change...

Indeed, I will miss Rod and the Progressive movement in New Zealand will be weaker because of his passing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home